Monday, 13 May 2019

Not spotting puffins


While in the N of Scotland I was very keen to see puffins on the cliffs in the wild, inspired by one of my favourite TV shows, Puffin Rock which was introduced to me by my favourite Americans, Audrey, Harlow and Isobel. I think they are growing out of it, but I am not. Although it relies on giving animals “personalities” (frowned on by some) it is also charmingly informative about the characteristics and lives of puffins and other seashore creatures. In fact, everything I found out about them in my puffin-seeking efforts over the last 2 weeks I already knew from the TV show. (Recommended; it’s on Netflix.) Although I did briefly see one puffin swimming in the sea, pointed out on a boat trip, I have not spotted any for myself on the many cliffs I have scanned while walking. Apparently, they are around in Shetland between April-July and arrive a bit later further South. I am not a good spotter. Or they are just hard to spot; on Shetland puffins are often referred to as “possible puffins”. I have also not seen any otters, as is always the case. 


We are now on the Scottish mainland. Our plan had been to go to Cape Wrath, the NW corner of mainland UK, which might have been the last puffin opportunity. This involves either a long walk through MoD land (approaching from the South) or a boat and minibus trip coming from the East, which depends on the tides. We were out of luck on the tides so instead went to Sandwood Bay, one of my favourite places. This is a 4 mile walk from the nearest road. It used to be a place that felt like few people knew about it or went there. Now it is relatively busy with the small car park 4 miles away full of camper vans. But it’s huge and still gorgeous and we were again lucky with the weather. If the first photo was higher res than I can post here then you could see the Cape Wrath lighthouse near the end of the far headland. 


No comments: